|Education Services Guide|
Choosing an Education Provider
1. Determine what type of education you need ... Identify the type of job you would like to have. Then decide on what education and training you will need to get there. Many unions and other professional organizations have a requirement of a GED or High School Diploma. Depending on your current level of education, this may be your first step.
2. Basic Skills, GED or High School Diploma: Obtaining a GED or High School diploma will improve your chances of getting a job. If you do not already have one this is the place to start. The organizations listed under this category can all help you.
a. Get an online high school diploma: Many adults realize that finishing a high school diploma can improve their employment chances and make them eligible for promotions at work. However, most adults don't have the time to attend school full time. Online high schools offer the solution. Online high school diploma programs offer adults the chance to schedule school work at their convenience and complete courses at their own pace. It may not be easy to earn an online high school diploma, but the hard work can pay off for years to come.
Adult Education Providers include:
1. Hayward Adult School
2. Oakland Adult School
3. Community College/University programs: If you already have a High School Diploma or GED the community college and university programs listed in this section can help you with more advanced training and education. The providers listed in this section all offer classes that can work with most any schedule.
Community Colleges include:
4. Financial Aid: The organizations or programs listed in this section can help you with the cost of further education. Any of the public or federally funded programs will require you to have proof of citizenship.
What to expect and how to prepare...
5. Documentation: You will likely need some form of identification and residency in Alameda County in order to enroll in an education program. However, if you are not applying for financial aid you will probably not be asked to show proof of citizenship. Each program is difference and we recommend you contact the programs directly and ask them about their specific requirements
6. Get a copy of your educational records... It may be helpful to have a copy of your most recent educational records or transcripts. The last educational institution you attended should be able to provide you with a copy of these documents.
ALWAYS CONTACT THE PROGRAMS DIRECTLY TO FIND OUT EXACTLY WHAT THEY REQUIRE BEFORE GOING TO THEIR OFFICES.